carbon monoxide safety | believe housing

carbon monoxide safety

Carbon monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’. It is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. It can be produced by any faulty appliances that burn gas, wood, oil or coal. Poisoning by carbon monoxide can be fatal or cause lasting health damage.

The risk of your appliance producing carbon monoxide is increased if it is poorly maintained. All appliances should be kept in a good condition and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Signs of carbon monoxide include sooting or staining around the appliance and/or excessive condensation in the room.

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness
  • Headaches
  • Chest pains.

If you experience these symptoms but feel better when you are outside or away from the appliance, you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Safety precautions

  • You must never block any permanent ventilation grilles that are fitted in your walls or doors
  • It is a health and safety requirement that you allow us into your home to carry out all safety checks
  • Failure to allow access is a breach of your tenancy agreement.

If you spot the signs of carbon monoxide or your alarm alarm goes off:

  • Turn the appliance off
  • Open windows and doors to ventilate the area
  • Leave the building immediately
  • For properties with gas, call the National Grid on 0800 111 999 to report the incident
  • For properties with solid fuel contact us at believe housing
  • Do not go back into the property – wait for advice from the emergency services
  • Seek medical advice – call the NHS on 111 or, if it is urgent, phone 999 for an ambulance
  • If you receive medical attention, be sure to state that you suspect you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning to ensure you receive appropriate treatment.
Skip to toolbar