winter warmers: how to prevent burst or frozen pipes
Prevent freezing or burst pipes
In extremely cold weather you should leave your heating on a low setting, around 15°C, or have on a timer especially if you are going away. This will keep the system ticking over and prevent pipes from freezing – just remember to switch your settings back to normal when the weather improves
You can also arrange to have your system drained – contact our repairs service for more information.
However if you have a burst pipe:
- Turn off water at the stoptap (usually in the kitchen or bathroom).
- Turn all cold taps on to drain the system.
- If water is going into or near electrical equipment, turn the electricity off at the consumer unit (the fuse box).
- Put a bucket under the leak, wrap a cloth around the pipe, and fasten with tape.
- Contact our repairs service.