winter warmers: what to do if bad weather hits
A winter storm or severe weather has the potential to cause real damage, so being prepared is vital.
Here are some tips to get you winter ready:
- Stay indoors during a storm and only travel when strictly necessary.
- Save a supply of drinking water for emergencies.
- Brace your home by clearing leaves and debris from gutters, draining outside taps and hoses and leaving cabinet doors open to circulate warm air around pipes.
- Tidy away or cover garden furniture to prevent damage.
- Check that any outside lights are all working, or add a light to make access to your home safer.
- Keep yourself warm – enjoy regular hot meals and drinks, and keep active.