believe housing has again pledged its support for Gas Safety Week to raise awareness about the importance of gas safety.
The 11th annual Gas Safety Week, which takes place between Monday, 13 and Sunday, 19 September, sees organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Each year the believe housing team carry out around 10,000 repairs to gas appliances, alongside 18,000 services and safety checks.
Gas Manager at believe housing, John Hay, said: Gas and carbon monoxide need our utmost respect. In the wrong circumstances they can be deadly. We carry out an annual gas safety check in all homes, it’s vital and required by law. Everyone has a busy life; but ensuring we can access your home at the booked time could be a lifesaver.”
During the last year, a carbon monoxide alarm alerted one believe housing customer that there was a problem. When the on-call gas engineer from believe housing got to the home, it quickly became clear that the fumes were actually coming from a neighbouring property.
The high carbon monoxide levels had been caused by an incorrectly fitted solid fuel fire in the house next door. The levels were so high that emergency services had to be contacted to mechanically extract the fumes from the homes before engineers could work inside.
“I’ve got no doubt whatsoever that if it wasn’t for the carbon monoxide alarm, this could have been a very, very nasty situation,” John added. “It’s a perfect example of why our safety checks are so important. Even if you think you are being careful, it’s essential that the alarms and appliances in your home are checked.”
More than 80% of tenants ensure that access to their home is provided on their first booked appointment.
“If you’re struggling to make an appointment, let us know at the earliest possible opportunity so our engineers can provide the most efficient service possible to all customers,” John said.
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified believe housing Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- Don’t cut corners – only allow a believe housing Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out work in your home.
- Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.