believe housing, together with its landlords, is supporting the 2016 Stay Well This Winter campaign.
The campaign is a joint initiative from NHS England and Public Health England, to help people with long-term health conditions and those over 65 prepare for winter and ward off common winter illnesses.
Winter can be seriously bad for people’s health, increasing the risk of blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes.
There are a number of things you can do to prepare against the cold weather:
- At the first sign of a cough or cold, get immediate advice from your pharmacist before it gets more serious
- Speak to your pharmacist about medicines you should have in stock over winter
- Pick up prescription medications before the Christmas holidays start as many GPs and pharmacies will close during the festivities
- It is important to keep warm in winter so heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F)
- Make sure you get your flu jab
- If you need help over the holiday period when your GP surgery or pharmacy is closed, call NHS 111 or visit www.nhs.uk
Visit www.nhs.uk/staywell for more information.