With six people able to meet in gardens, many of us are taking full advantage of the changes in coronavirus-related restrictions.
At believe housing we want all our customers to enjoy their outdoor space but do so safely. If you’re looking to enjoy a barbeque with friends or family, please consider some simple safety tips.
Barbecues can be a risk if not used correctly. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and make sure the barbeque is in a safe working order.
- Place on a flat, non-flammable surface, at least 1.5m away from trees, fences, sheds overhanging branches or buildings
- Never use in small spaces such as balconies
- Never leave a barbeque unattended
- Ensure the barbeque is cold before trying to move it
- Never put hot ashes or coal in a bin
- When using a charcoal barbeque, make sure you only use the fuel needed, normally around two inches or five centimetres
- Disposable barbecues should be used with a stand, placing on a patio can cause paving stones to heat up and risk unexpected burns
- Be aware of dry grass and plants, which can easily catch fire
- Do not allow children to play in the area until the barbeque has fully cooled.
There has been a national increase in garden fires during the coronavirus restrictions. Fires can also go on to spread into neighbouring gardens and properties.
Portable paraffin heaters, gas cannisters and bottles, or any dangerous, flammable or explosive materials must not be stored either inside or outside your home including any garden, garage shed or outbuilding. The only exception are items required for medical reasons or a barbeque gas bottle.
Any alterations to your garden such as summer houses and sheds must be approved in advance by believe housing.
The believe housing tenancy agreement also contains the following general guidelines that may be relevant:
- Be mindful of nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to neighbours
- Keep your garden well maintained and free from rubbish
- Do not endanger the health and safety of people within the garden.
- Garden ponds are not permitted.
For more information on safety in your home or garden, contact believe housing on 0300 1311 999.