domestic abuse or violence

believe housing is committed to supporting any person who is experiencing domestic abuse and will work closely with our partner agencies to ensure that the appropriate safeguards are put in place and that the victim’s rights and wishes are respected.

Emergency website exit – click here to redirect to BBC News if you need to leave this site quickly

If you or someone you know has been subjected to domestic abuse please contact us for advice and support. We can talk you through the options available and offer help to access the appropriate services, support agencies and security measures.

Domestic abuse includes, but is not limited to:

  • Physical abuse can include hitting, punching, kicking, slapping, hitting with objects, restraining, strangulation, choking, pushing or shoving.
  • Sexual abuse can include rape, coerced sex, forcing someone to take part in unwanted sexual acts, refusal to practice safe sex or use contraception.
  • Psychological abuse can include isolating someone (not allowing them to see friends or family), using threats (to harm their family, children, friends, pets), humiliation, embarrassing or undermining someone in front of others.
  • Financial abuse includes the control of someone’s money or bank accounts, refusing to allow someone to work, and building up debts in their name.
  • Coercive behaviour is an act or pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation, intimidation, or other abuse used to harm, punish, or frighten the victim.
  • Controlling behaviour is a range of acts designed to make a person dependent by isolating them from sources of support, depriving them of the means of living independently, and regulating their everyday behaviour.
  • Stalking is the unwanted, persistent harassment or attention of another person. This can take place in person or digitally, via the internet known as cyber-stalking.

Reporting domestic abuse:

Durham Constabulary
Call: 101, or 999 in an emergency

Durham County Council Housing Solutions
Call: 08081 968406

Sunderland City Council
Call: 0191 520 5551

Stockton Borough Council
Call: 01642 528389 or out of hours 01642 524552.

Call: 0300 020 2525

Wear Valley Women’s Aid
Call: 01388 600 094, or 07946 190 203 (24hr)

National Domestic Violence Helpline
Call: 0808 200 0247

Men’s Advice Line
Call: 0808 801 0327

Call: 0203 8664107

Alice Ruggles Trust – they don’t directly offer support but they have a directory of other local support services.

Suzy Lamplugh Trust

National Stalking Helpline
Call: 0808 802 0300

Hourglass – Challenging and preventing the abuse of older people.
Call: 0808 8088141

Halo – Supporting victims of honour based violence, forced marriages and FGM.
Call: 01642 683045

Galop – Supporting LGBTQ+ people who have experienced abuse and violence.
Call: 0800 999 5428

Galop also have a specialist hate crime helpline which is 0207 7042040

Angelou Centre – BME-led women’s centre based in Newcastle, offering women only services for BME women.
Call: 0191 226 0394

Signhealth – Specialise in providing domestic abuse support for deaf people.

Northumbria Police

Cleveland Police

Surviving economic abuse

No recourse to public funds

how can we help?

If you, or someone you know has been subjected to domestic abuse or violence we can help you access appropriate services, support agencies and security measures.