home alterations | believe housing

home alterations

If you want to carry out your own alterations or additions either inside or outside your home, you must first contact us to obtain our permission.

Examples of alterations and additions you need written permission for are:

  • Removing walls
  • Driveways
  • Fencing
  • Externally painting the property
  • Heating replacements
  • Kitchen/bathroom (including showers) replacement
  • Window and door replacement
  • Brick, stone or other fireplaces
  • Laminate flooring
  • CB radio aerial/TV aerial/satellite equipment.

Permission may be refused and we will always explain why. Some requests can be subject to Durham County Council planning or building regulations approval (and fees may apply).

Please be aware that if you carry out any home improvements without written permission you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement. This could result in legal action being taken and you being charged to correct any work done.

Skip to toolbar