The in-house gas engineers at believe housing carry out annual checks to every property.
Tenants need to allow access to their home for gas safety checks when requested. This is part of your tenancy agreement. If you can’t keep an appointment, please call believe housing so that your appointment can be rescheduled.
By law believe housing must ensure that all work on gas appliances or fittings is carried by a qualified engineer with Gas Safe Register accreditation. No DIY work can be carried out on gas appliances or fittings; it is dangerous and illegal. If any extra work on gas appliances is required, you must inform believe housing in advance and use only qualified personnel with Gas Safe Register accreditation.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill or leave you hospitalised. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but carbon monoxide can kill within a
matter of hours. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, pains in the chest and stomach pains.
If you or your family experience these symptoms and believe that carbon monoxide may be involved, you must seek urgent medical help.
There are some simple steps that can be taken in your home to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Never use a gas appliance if you think is it not working properly. Signs to look out for include a yellow or orange flame (except for fuel
efficient fires which display this colour flame), soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights which frequently blow out.
- Do not cover an appliance or block the air vents.
- Don’t block or obstruct any ventilation grilles or air bricks.
- Never block or cover any outside flue.
- Regularly check carbon monoxide alarms.
- If you smell gas, or suspect a carbon monoxide leak, open all the doors and windows immediately and call the Gas Emergency freephone number 0800 111 999.