tumble dryer safety
Tumble dryers and washing machines contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot.
Tips and advice:
- Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using your dryer
- Clean and maintain your machine regularly as excess fluff or lint can build up over time and catch fire
- Never leave your appliance unattended or running overnight
- Never overload your washing machine or dryer or put items in that have been used to soak up flammable or combustible liquids, like tea towels
- Keep your dryer well ventilated, ensuring the vent pipe is kink-free and not blocked or crushed in any way
- Have your dryer serviced regularly by a qualified engineer
- Don’t ignore the warning signs:
- Does your tumble dryer smell of burning?
- Are your clothes taking longer to dry?
- Do the clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle?
- Does the external vent flap stay shut when the dryer is on?
- If you notice any of the above, clean the filter and check the vent pipe immediately.