winter warmers: handy household tips
Here’s some handy household tips to keep you safe and well this winter.
- Check the batteries on smoke alarms regularly
- Know where your stoptap is and test it frequently
- Keep a torch handy
- Keep a spare phone that doesn’t need to be plugged in to an electrical socket – newer phones may not work if your electricity is off
- Use a battery-powered radio to listen to local stations, such as BBC Newcastle, for news about the weather and emergencies
- Do you have a microwave? They’re great for warming meals if your boiler isn’t working
- Keep the heat in your home this winter by hanging heavy lined curtains, closing them as soon as it starts to get dark
- Set your heating to come on for at least an hour a day to keep your boiler functioning
- If you have a loft, leave its access open in extremely cold weather to help prevent freezing pipes
- Avoid blockages by letting cooking fat solidify and throw in the bin rather than pouring down the sink
- Make sure you have your annual gas service carried out. It’s free and it could save your life!