winter warmers: top travel tips
If and when the road conditions are bad, only travel when absolutely necessary:
- Plan ahead – check the state of the roads before you set off.
- Check your car – are your tyres correctly inflated, do you have plenty low-temperature screen wash, antifreeze, and fuel?
- Take an emergency kit (spade, blanket, food and drink) and make sure your phone is charged.
- Drive carefully and allow extra time – steer, brake and accelerate gently and leave bigger gaps between you and the car in front.
- In severe weather it is advisable to use public transport rather than your own car. For the latest timetables and information click here.