winter warmers: what to do if your electricity goes off
If you find yourself without any electric or power this winter, here’s our Repairs Team with a few tips.
- Check your consumer unit (the fuse box)
- If any switches have tripped to the ‘off’ position, put them back to ‘on’.
- If the switch will not reset, you may have a faulty appliance or wiring to check. Contact our repairs service for further advice.
- While the supply is off, switch off any electric fires or heaters, and avoid opening freezer doors.
- If all house and external street lights are off call Northern Powergrid on 0800 66 88 77. Under normal weather conditions, supplies are usually restored within three hours.
- If smoke or sparks are coming from sockets or switches, turn off the electricity at the consumer unit and report it to our repairs service.