domestic abuse or violence
Domestic abuse or violence is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.
It could be anything ranging from:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Isolating behaviour
- Financial abuse
If you have been subjected to domestic abuse or violence we can help you access appropriate services, support agencies and security measures.
The following agencies can also provide help and support:
- Durham Constabulary: call 101, or 999 in an emergency, or visit their website
- Durham County Council Housing Solutions: call 03000 268 000, or visit their website
- Harbour: call 0300 020 2525, or visit their website
- Wear Valley Women’s aid: call 01388 600 094, or 07946 190 203 (24hr), or visit their website
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 200 0247, or visit their website
- Men’s Advice Line: call 0808 801 0327